Details Profile of Researchers in BIISS
88-02-48315808, 222223808, Ext. 116, Direct: 58312061
Mr Mohammad Ashique Rahman, Senior Research Fellow, Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS) has joined the Institute as Research Officer on 01 September 2004. Throughout his career, he has been actively involved in various research activities both independent and sponsored research. His research interests include US foreign policy and policies towards South Asia, critical security studies, terrorism and violent extremism, South Asian Politics and Inter-State Relations, Small Arms and Transnational Crimes etc.
Mr Rahman received his Bachelor and Master Degrees in Political Science from the University of Dhaka. He received his second Master degree in International Relations from Boston University, USA, sponsored by the award of William J Fulbright Scholarship of the United States’ Government. He also received other scholarship, fellowship and funding to attend training courses, conduct field research and attend international workshops.
Mr Rahman has participated and presented research papers in various national and international seminars and conferences. He has published a book, book chapters and many research papers in esteemed journals both at home and abroad. He is an Assistant Editor to the biiss journal, the flagship quarterly publication in Bangladesh.
Areas of Expertise
- US foreign policy and policies towards South Asia
- Traditional and Non-traditional Security
- Critical security studies
- Terrorism and violent extremism
- South Asian Politics and Inter-State Relations
- Small Arms and Transnational Crimes etc.
- Teaching Experience
- Adjunct Faculty, Police Staff College, Dhaka, during September 2016 - April 2017.
M Ashique Rahman, What Went Wrong in United States-Pakistan Relations: The Legacy of General Pervez Musharraf, Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, 2014.
- M Ashique Rahman, “Bangabandhu and the Roots of Bangladesh Foreign Policy”, in Md Emdad Ul Bari (ed.), Bangabandhu and Bangladesh: An Epic of a Nation’s Emergence and Emancipation, Pathak Shamabesh, Dhaka 2021.
- M Ashique Rahman, “Rising India and Bangladesh-India Relations: Mutual Perceptions and Expectations”, in Vishal Chandra (ed.), India and South Asia: Exploring Regional Perceptions, Pentagon Press, New Delhi, 2015.
- M Ashique Rahman and Iftekhar Ahmed, “Non-traditional Security Threats of Bangladesh: Scope of Responses and Challenges for Bangladesh Land Forces”, in Chowdhury Hasan Sarwardy and A K M Abdur Rahman (ed.), Exploring New Areas of Cooperation in the AsiaPacific Region, Armed Forces Division and Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies, 2015.
- M Ashique Rahman and Mohammad Jasim Uddin, “Bangladesh-China Relations: Growing Partnership in the Coming Decades and Its Implications”, in Bhuian Md. Monoar Kabir (ed.), Sino-South Asia Relations: Continuity and Change, University of Chittagong, Bangladesh, 2013.
- “Understanding the Changing Nature of Global Terrorism: A Historical Analysis”, BIISS Journal, Vol. 38, No. 3, 2017.
- “Recent Security Scenario in Afghanistan: Roles and Impacts of the ISAF Deployment and the Way Forward”, BIISS Journal, Vol. 35, No. 3, 2014.
- “Towards an Arms Trade Treaty and Bangladesh: Opportunities and Challenges Ahead”, in BIISS Journal, Vol. 33, No. 4, October 2012.
- “US-Pakistan Relations during the Musharraf Regime: US Policies, Strategies, and the Outcome”, in BIISS Journal, Vol. 32, No.2, April 2011.
- “Proposed Iran-Pakistan-India Gas Pipeline: Implications for Regional Cooperation in South Asia”, in BIISS Journal, Vol. 29, No. 3, July 2008.
- “South Asia in 2007: A Review” in BIISS Journal, Vol. 29, No. 1, January 2008.
- “Protection of Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh: US Assistant Secretary Ellen Sauerbrey’s Visit in Perspective”, in BIISS Quarterly, Bangladesh Foreign Policy Survey (BFPS), Vol. 7, No. 1, Jun-Aug 2006
- “Asian Tsunami: Economic Impacts and the Politics of Humanitarian Aid”, jointly authored in BIISS Journal, Vol. 26, No. 3, July 2005.
“Arms control in Bangladesh and the UN arms trade treaty, will it benefit us”, The Daily Star, Anniversary Supplement, 20 March 2013.
- Ongoing Project:
- Position: Co-Team Leader
- Research Project: Defence Modernisation in Bangladesh
- Funded by: Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies
- Duration: July 2022 - Present
- Completed Projects:
- National Consultant, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Bangladesh sponsored Research Study on “Building an Inclusive and Tolerant Society in Bangladesh for Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE)” for the period of 30 September 2016 – 31 December 2016.
- Research Associate in a Research Project on “Decision Making and Collaboration at Upazilla Level” funded by United Nations Development Program (UNDP) from December 2002 – March 2003.
- Presentation on “Disaster Management in the Bay of Bengal within the BIMSTEC Framework: Bangladesh Perspective” at the BIMSTEC Think Tank Security Dialogue organized by BIMSTEC Secretariat and National Security Council, India, at the Vivekananda International Foundation (VIF), New Delhi, India from 13-14 November 2018.
- Paper presentation on “Youth Radicalization in Developing Societies: The Case of Bangladesh”, in an International Conference on Youth Radicalization in South Asia organized by the Centre for South Asian Studies (CSAS), Nepal with support from Konrad Adeneur Stiftung (KAS), Germany, in Kathmandu, Nepal from 27-28 February 2017.
- Presentation on “Exploring the Nature and Trend of Global Terrorism”, in a Panel Discussion on “Terrorism and Counter Terrorism Environment in Bangladesh” for the participants of Armed Forces War Course -2016, at the National Defence College, Mirpur Cantonment, Dhaka, on 22 August 2016.
- Presentation on “The Changing Trends of Global Terrorism: A Historical Perspective”, in a Seminar on “Countering Violent Extremism in Bangladesh: Possible Options”, organized by Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS) in collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), Bangladesh on 28 July 2016 at BIISS Auditorium, Dhaka.
- “IDPs in Bangladesh: Need for a Rights-based Approach”, presentation at the COSATT Regional Conference on “Refugees in South Asia”, organised by Centre of South Asian Studies (CSAS), in Kathmandu, Nepal on 02-03 May, 2016.
- “Combating Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) Proliferation in Bangladesh: Domestic Regulations, Global Obligations and the Need for Regional Initiatives”, presentation in a Workshop for South Asian Parliamentarians, organised by Parliamentarians for Global Actions on 23 August 2015 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Presentation on “BIMSTEC Cooperation in Counterterrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC): Progress Made and the Way Forward”, in a National Seminar on “Bangladesh and BIMSTEC: Way Forward”, organised by BIISS on 13 January 2015 at BIISS Auditorium, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- “Recent Security Scenario in Afghanistan: Roles and Impacts of the ISAF and the Way Forward”, paper presented in a Seminar on “Afghanistan: Security Scenario Post-withdrawal of ISAF and Impacts on the Region”, jointly organised by National Defence College, Dhaka, BIISS and Bangladesh Enterprise Institute (BEI) on 24 August 2014 at National Defence College, Dhaka.
- “Rising India and Bangladesh-India Relations: Mutual Perceptions and Expectations”, paper presented in the 8th South Asia Conference organized by the Institute of Defence and Strategic Analysis (IDSA), New Delhi, India, from 30-31 October 2013.
- Presentation on “Bangladesh and the Arms Trade Treaty”, in a Roundtable Discussion on Arms Control in Bangladesh and the UN Arms Trade Treaty Conference, organized jointly by Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS) and SaferworldBangladesh on 11 July, 2012, in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- “Role of Bangladesh in Promoting Regional Cooperation in South Asia”, paper presented in the International Conference on Challenges and Opportunities of Twenty First Century SAARC, organized by the Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS) on 3-4 April, 2012, in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Presented a paper entitled, “Security Situation in South Asia and Countering Terrorism and Extremism in Afghanistan and Pakistan”, in a BIISS-CIISS Workshop in Beijing, China, organized by the China Institute for International Strategic Studies (CIISS), Beijing, China, on 20 December 2011.
- Presentation on “Resources for Research in Bangladesh” in a Workshop for ‘Foreign Students received Fulbright funding for conducting Research in Bangladesh, organized by the American Center, US Embassy, Dhaka, Bangladesh on 16 September 2011.
- Presentation on “Evaluating the PRSP Matrix in Bangladesh” at the International Training Programme (ITP) on “Governing for Development: Opportunities and Challenges for Development Actors under the New Aid Paradigm” at the Institute of Development Policy and Management, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium in June 2008.
- Presented a Country Paper on “Protection of Refugees in Bangladesh: Invoking International Human Rights Protection Mechanism” in an International Teaching Session on International Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law in Bangalore, India, in May 2006.
- Short Course on “Countering Financing of Terrorism” at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia during November – December, 2017.
- Successfully completed the International Training Programme (ITP) on “Governing for Development: Opportunities and Challenges for Development Actors under the New Aid Paradigm” at the Institute of Development Policy and Management, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium from May 15 – June 20, 2008.
- Successfully completed the Training Workshop on Social Sciences Research Methodology organized by Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies, Dhaka, during 1011 December 2006.
- Participated in the International Teaching Session on “International Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law” at the National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore, India from May 11-24, 2006, jointly organized by International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), New Delhi, India, United Nation High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), New Delhi, India and the National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore, India.
- Successfully completed International Residential Training Workshop on “Migration, Globalisation, Security and Development” organized by South Asia Migration Resource Network (SAMREN) in collaboration with Refugee and Migratory Movements Research Unit (RMMRU) and Development Research Centre (DRC) on Migration, Globalisation and Poverty of University of Sussex, UK, from November 18-29, 2005 at BRAC Centre for Development Management (BCDM), Rajendrapur, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Attended Lecture Series on India-Bangladesh Relations from 9 August – 27 September 2005, organized by Bangladesh Enterprise Institute (BEI), at BEI Conference Room, Gulshan-1, Dhaka, Bangaldesh.
Academic Awards and Achievements
Academic Awards and Achievements:
- Awarded Kautilya Fellowship by the India Foundation to attend International Workshop on Indian Foreign and Public Policy at India Foundation, New Delhi, India. (January – February 2020).
- Short Course Awards (SCA) by Australia Awards to attend a Short Course on “Countering Financing of Terrorism” at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. (November – December, 2017)
- Awarded Japan Foundation Fellowship (2015) to conduct a Research Project in Japan. (June – July, 2015)
- Awarded William J Fulbright Scholarship by the United States Government (2008-2010) to pursue Master Degree at Boston University, USA.
- Received VLIR-UOS (The Flemish Interuniversity Council-University Development Cooperation) Scholarship (2008) by the Belgian Government to attend an international training programme at the University of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Merit Scholarship for 4th Position in the Master Degree from University of Dhaka.
- Merit Scholarship for 2nd Position in the Bachelor Degree from University of Dhaka.
- Merit Scholarship at Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC) level from Dhaka Education Board.
- Merit Scholarship at Secondary School Certificate (SSC) from Dhaka Education Board.