Details Profile of Researchers in BIISS
+880-2-48315808, 222223808; Ext. 119
Shanjida Shahab Uddin is a Research Fellow at the Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS). She studies the politics of competing connectivity initiatives, their multifaceted consequences and examines how these initiatives affect geopolitics in many different ways. She is currently researching the geopolitics of the Belt and Road Initiative, as well as its prospective geo-strategic compulsions and geo-economic possibilities, and its various ramifications for Bangladesh. Previously, she studied how the Belt and Road Initiative is contributing in re-shaping the existing energy order as well as the geopolitics of energy with a focus on multilateral cooperation. Among her previous publications, she also studied the stalled situation of BCIM-EC due to the geopolitical conundrum that emerged from the Sino-Indian rivalry. Water diplomacy of Bangladesh is another field of her research interest as she has previous study on how Bangladesh’s water negotiation with India is being affected by various challenges and becomes a zero-sum game. Ms. Shanjida completed her BSS and MSS from the Department of International Relations, University of Dhaka. She completed her MSc in Globalization and Development from University of Antwerp, Belgium.
Areas of Expertise
- Regional and sub-regional cooperation
- Politics of competing connectivity initiatives
- 2023, “Bangladesh and Belt and Road Initiative: Strategic Rationale and Plausible Repercussions”, in China and Eurasian Powers in a Multipolar World Order 2.0: Security, Diplomacy, Economy and Cyberspace, Mher Sahakyan (ed.), London: Routledge.
- 2019, “Belt and Road Initiative and the Geopolitics of Energy”, BIISS Journal, No.2, Vol.40.
- 2017, “BRI and BCIM-EC: Overcoming the Impediments”, BIISS Journal, No.3, Vol.38.
- 2017, co-authored with Syeda Tanzia Sultana, “Bangladesh-India Water Negotiation: Challenges and Way Forward”, BIISS Journal, No.2, Vol.38.
- 2016, “Regional and Sub-Regional Connectivity Arrangements: Opportunities and Challenges for Bangladesh”, BIISS Journal, No.2, Vol.37.
- 2015, “Trade Liberalization and Its Impact: An Analysis of the Condition of Bangladesh Female RMG Workers”, South Asia Journal, Winter issue, No.12, ISBN 978-0-9838776-9-1, New Delhi: India.
- 2020, The Belt and Road Initiative and Beyond: State-mobilized Globalization in China: 1998-2018 by Min Ye. BIISS Journal, No.2, Vol. 41.
- “Bangladesh in the Belt and Road Initiative: Strategic Rationale and Future Implications”, Paper presented at the Academic Conference on Eurasian Research on Modern China and Eurasia, Third Edition, organized by China-Eurasia Council for Political and Strategic Research and Russian-Armenian University, in Yerevan, Armenia on 03 December 2021.
- “Transport Connectivity in South Asia:The Case of BRI and BBIN”, Paper presented at COSATT Regional Conference on Importance of BRI and BBIN for South Asia, jointly organised by Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS) and Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS), in Dhaka, Bangladesh on 4 July 2018.
- “Overcoming the Hurdles of OBOR and BCIM-EC: Bangladesh Perspective”, Presented at CIISS-BIISS Workshop, organized by China Institute of International and Strategic Studies (CIISS), Beijing, China on 18 July 2017.
Academic Awards and Achievements
- VLIR-OUS Scholarship 2013-2014