Details Profile of Researchers in BIISS
Colonel Shahriar Jabed Chowdhury, afwc, psc, G is a Research Director at Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS). Colonel Jabed was General Staff Officer 1(Plans) in the Army Headquarters General Staff Branch (Military Operations Directorate) before assuming his incumbent assignment. After passing out from Faujdarhat Cadet College, he joined the Bangladesh Army with the 41st BMA Long Course and was commissioned on 02 December in the Corps of Artillery. He achieved a Bachelor of Science (BSc) from the National University, Masters of Science (Technical) from National University, Masters in Defence Studies (MDS) and MSS in Security and Development from the Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP). He is a graduate of both the Defence Services Command and Staff College and National Defence College, Mirpur Cantonment. He attended the Junior Command and Staff Course at the Directorate of Military Training Centre (DMTC), Canada and the Artillery Command Course at Nanxing Artillery Academy, China. In professional career, he performed various important duties. He has commanded the Headquarters Battery of an Artillery Brigade and an Artillery Field Regiment. As a staff officer, he served as General Staff Officer 1 in the Army Headquarters and Brigade Major of an Artillery Brigade. He was an instructor in the Artillery Centre and School in Chattogram. In UN mission he successfully served as Chief of Staff of a Multinational Sector Headquarters in South Sudan and as Company Second-in-Command of a Mechanized Infantry Contingent in Liberia. Colonel is married and proud father of two sons.
Areas of Expertise
- Strategic Thinking and Strategy Formulation
- National Defence, Defence Economics and Management
- Security - National, Regional and Trans-border
- Defence and Military Diplomacy
- United Nations Peace Support Operations
- Ethical conduct and ethics training
- 2023- Doctrine of Unmanned Aerial System, as co-author formulated doctrinal publication for Land Forces
- 2013- Field artillery officers’ hand book, as co-author written and published General Staff Training Pamphlet for Land Forces
- 2020- Effective ethics training for the officers of Bangladesh Army towards the enhancement of professional conduct, (National Defence College Journal, Volume 20, Number 1, June 2021 ISSN 1683-8475, https://ndc.gov.bd/Publication/Detail/141)
- 2020- Finding enablers of coherent military diplomacy in contemporary world and lessons for Bangladesh Armed Forces, National Defence College, Dhaka
- 2020- Total people’s war concept in the liberation war of 1971 and its integration to war fighting efforts of Bangladesh, National Defence College, Dhaka
- 2015- Present state of social environment in Bangladesh army: ways forward, Army Research Project, Dhaka.
- 2012- Urbanization and its influence on the conduct of unconventional warfare in Bangladesh, Defence Services Command and Staff College, Dhaka.
- In 2023: Participated in ‘Roundtable dialogue on safer access towards Bangladesh Red Crescent Societies (BDRCS) humanitarian actions’ (05 September 2023) by BDRCS at Dhaka as a representative of Bangladesh Army.
- In 2021: Participated in ‘Terrorism experts conference and executive level defence against terrorism seminar’ (12-13 October 2021) by COE-DAT (Centre of Excellence- Defence against terrorism) at Ankara, Turkey as a representative of Bangladesh Army.
- In 2020: Participated in the presentation of Major General Hugh Van Roosen, DMA, UN on ‘Challenges of peace keeping missions by blue helmets and ways forward’ in National Defence College.
- In 2020: Participated in Workshop on ‘International Crisis and Conflict Management’ organized by National Defence College.
- In 2000-2002: Participated in Counter Insurgency Operations, Post Counter Insurgency Operations and Socio-economic Development Programmes in Chittagong Hill tracts, Bangladesh for more than 3 years.
- Alumni of National University, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Alumni of Bangladesh University of Professionals, Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Alumni of Directorate of Military Training and Cooperation, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Alumni of National Defence College, Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Alumni of Defence Services Command and Staff College, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Alumni of Old Faujian Association, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Academic Awards and Achievements