Details Profile of Researchers in BIISS
Titles Not Found!
A.S.M. Tarek Hassan Semul is a Research Fellow at Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS). He has more than nine years of research and policy analysis experience in broad fields of foreign policy, international security and strategic studies. He has worked extensively on power asymmetry among great powers and small states in the South and Southeast Asian region. He has particular interest to understand small states’ dilemma and response in the context of brewing geostrategic rivalry among great powers in the India Ocean region. Nationalism and populism’s reemergence as the response to the neoliberal and globalized world is another field of his research interest as he is interested to see if there are any common patterns or differences in such responses in the Western societies and the post-colonial states of South and Southeast Asia (i.e. Myanmar, India). With rapid advancement technology, both state and non-state actors are adapting with the evolving nature of warfare. Their coping strategies is another area of research interest for Mr. Hassan.
Before joining BIISS, Mr. Hassan worked at the Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) as Programme Associate on a CPD-Christian Michelsen Institute, Norway research project on parliaments and political parties of Bangladesh. Prior to that he completed his internship at the Bangladesh Enterprise Institute (BEI) on the project titled Counter Terrorism in Bangladesh. Mr. Hassan obtained his MSS and BSS in International Relations from the University of Dhaka.
Areas of Expertise
- Great power politics and geostrategic constructions (i.e. Indo-Pacific strategy, BRI, QUAD)
- Maritime security in the Indian Ocean region
- Globalization vis-à-vis nationalism, violent extremism, populism and right wing movements
- Power asymmetry and foreign policy dilemmas of small states of South and Southeast Asia
- Technology (i.e. cyber, artificial intelligence) and evolution warfare for state (great, middle and small powers) and non-state actors (i.e. violent extremist groups, terrorist networks, insurgent groups)
- 2018, co-authored with Mahbubur Rashid Bhuiyan, The Changing Nature of Warfare: Russian Hybrid Warfare in the 21st Century, BIISS Journal 39(4):339-358
- 2018, Balancing Game in the (Indo) Asia-Pacific: From ‘Thucydides Trap to Multiple Discourses? BIISS Journal 39(3):321-337
- 2017, Countercurrent to Globalization: Rise of Right-wing Populism in the Global North, BIISS Journal 39(1):83-100
- 2016, co-authored with Nazmul Arifeen, Drumming of Nuclear Armageddon: Looming Nuclear Standoff in the Korean Peninsula, BIISS Journal 37(4):301-324
- 2020, co-authored with AKM Abdur Rahman, Changing Balance of Power in the Indo-Pacific Region: Challenges for Bangladesh. In: Security and Economic Challenges in the Indo-Pacific, Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT) and Political Dialogue Asia Programme, Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS).
- 2019, co-authored with Nazmul Arifeen, Rethinking Peace as Sustainable Development Goals: Peacebuilding in ‘Apparently-Peaceful’ Societies. In: Bangladesh in International Peacebuilding, Pathak Samabash.
- 2018, The Other Influx, Centre for Genocide Studies (CGS) Peace Report, CGS, University of Dhaka, pp. 31-35
o Position: Team Member
Project Name: The Geopolitics of Neighbourhood and Bangladesh-Myanmar Relations: The Rohingya Crisis and Beyond
Project Funded by: Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS)
Duration: August 2020- Present
- Presented a paper titled, “Changing Balance of Power in the Indo-Pacific Region: Challenges for Bangladesh” at the “COSATT Authors’ Meeting: Book Project on Indo-Pacific”, organized by Institute of National Security Studies Sri Lanka (INSSSL), Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT) and Konrad-Adenauer Stiftung (KAS) on 19 October, 2019, held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Presented a paper titled, “The Role of Global and Regional Actors in Shaping the Geopolitics in South Asia” at the United Arab Emirates (UAE)-National Defence College Delegation Visit Conference on 27 November, 2019, held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Balance of Power in the Indo-Pacific Region and Challenges for Bangladesh” at the National Defence College, India Delegation Visit Conference at BIISS on 25 August, 2019, held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Changing Geo-strategic Dynamics: Bangladesh-India Maritime Cooperation” at the Seminar titled, “Bangladesh-India Cooperation in the Changing Regional and Global Context”, during the visit of Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis (IDSA), India on 03 July, 2019 held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Bangladesh-China Relationship and emerging World Order” at the China Institute of International Studies (CIIS) Delegation Visit Conference at BIISS on 27 June 2019 held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Changing Global Geopolitical Dynamics” at the National Defence College, Bangladesh Delegation Visit Conference at BIISS on 04 June, 2019, held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Emerging Security Challenges in the Indo-Pacific Region” at the China Institute of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR) Delegation Visit Conference at BIISS on 11 April, 2019 held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Emerging maritime security challenges in the Indo-Pacific Region” at an International Conference titled, “Security and Economic Challenges in the Indo-Pacific” jointly organized by Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT) and Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS) on 11 March, 2019, held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Presented a Paper titled, “Preventing Violent Extremism: A Peacebuilding Perspective” at the international conference on Bangladesh in International Peacebuilding: Experience from Japan from 12-13 August 2018, held in Dhaka.
- Presented a paper titled, “Challenges for Regional Cooperation in South Asia: Interstate Conflicts, Constraints in Forging Regional Consensus” in an international conference on "South Asia Amidst a New World Order" organized by Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT), from 25-26 March, 2018, held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Training & Fellowship:
- Participated in the EU South Asia Regional Training Workshop on Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism, organized by European Union (EU), from 3-5 March 2020, held in Dhaka.
- Participated in the 3rd Kautilya Fellows Programme (KFP) on Indian Foreign Policy and Public Policy, organized by the India Foundation in association with the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), India from 26 January – 03 February, 2020, held in New Delhi, India.
- Participated in a national training workshop on “Rethinking Question of Rights, Justice and Development” organized by Centre for Alternatives(CA) and Human Development(SHED) from 27th to 31st of March 2006.
- Participated in the international training workshop on “Population Movements: Non-Traditional Issues in South Asian Security Discourse” organized by RMMRU (Refugee and Migratory Movements Research Unit)
Academic Awards and Achievements
- “Acclamatory Award” (2002-2003) from Notre Dame Debating Club for leadership excellence.
- “Award for Excellence” (2000-2001) from M.G.B.S. Debating Club for debating excellence.