Details Profile of Researchers in BIISS
Nur Ahmed is a Research officer at the Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS). Before joining BIISS, he worked as a Research Officer at the Bangladesh Institute of Maritime Research and Development (BIMRAD). Earlier, he worked as a Research Associate at the BRAC Institute of Governance and Development (BIGD), Brac University. He has also worked as a Teaching Assistant in the M.Phil. Program of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP). Nur holds a Bachelor’s and a Master’s in International Relations from the University of Dhaka. His research interests are in International Security, Strategic Studies, Maritime Security, Geopolitics, Comparative Foreign Policy Analysis.
Areas of Expertise
- International Security
- Strategic Studies
- Maritime Security
- Comparative Foreign Policy Analysis
Nur Ahmed, “The Maritime Dimension of Foreign Policy Choices of Bangladesh: Securing National Interests amidst Geopolitical Conundrum,” BIMRAD Journal, Vol. 4, no. 1, forthcoming.
Nur Ahmed and Firoza Ashravee, “Academic Curriculum, Youth and Higher Education: Students’ Perspectives from Two Universities in Dhaka”, in Amena Mohsin, ASM Ali Ashraf, Niloy Ranjan Biswas, and Mohammad Atique Rahman (eds.), Globalisation and Cultural Transformations among the Youth: Tertiary Institutions under the Spotlight (Dhaka: UPL, 2023).
Nur Ahmed, “Ocean-Based Renewable Energy Resources: Sustainable Solution to Growing Energy Demands”, PAAL, Volume 5, Issue 1 (April 2022), pp. 09-11.
Nur Ahmed, “Bangladesh's Policy Dynamics in the Context of Reshuffling Geopolitical Alliances’’, PAAL, Volume 5, Issue 2 (August 2022), pp. 22-24.
Nur Ahmed, “Global and Regional Initiatives to Tackle Marine Pollution: Existing Frameworks and Way Forward”, PAAL, Volume 6, Issue 1 (April 2023), pp. 40-41.
''Sri Lanka’s Maritime Ambitions: Stranded in High Sea'', The Daily Sun, 23 April 2022. ''Bringing out the Best amidst Crisis'', The Daily Sun, 30 May 2022.
''The Indo-Pacific Economic Framework: What is in a Name?'', The Daily Observer, 03 July 2022.
''US Foreign Policy in the Middle East: Rapprochement or Redesigned Engagement?'', The Daily Sun, 07 August 2022.
''Addressing Energy Crisis'', The Daily Observer, 16 September 2022.
''Armenia-Azerbaijan Tug of War on Nagorno-Karabakh'', The Daily Observer, 23 October 2022.
''Mutual Trust and Understanding among South Asian Nations A Must'', The Daily Observer, 28 November 2022.
''The Way 2023 Can Redefine World Order'', The Daily Observer, 05 January 2023.
''A Humanitarian Plea to Save Lives of Rohingyas at Sea?'', The Daily Sun, 21 January 2023.
''Challenges in National and Regional Migration Governance'', The Daily Observer, 15 February 2023.
''A new twist in the decades-long Israel-Palestine conflict'', The Daily Observer, 28 March 2023.
''Chinese Footprint in the Middle East: Motivations and Strategic Priorities'', The Daily Observer, 26 April 2023.
“The Long Awaited Indo-Pacific Outlook of Bangladesh: What Lies Ahead?”, The Daily Observer, 28 May 2023.
“Preserving our blue lifeline for a sustainable future”, The Daily Observer, 03 July 2023.
“Prospects for Iran-led naval alliance in Middle East”, The Daily Observer, 21 July 2023.
“Embracing marine renewable energy: charting a course to sustainability”, The Daily Observer, 22 September 2023
- Position: Research Assistant, The Construction of Counter Terrorism & Transnational Crime Protection Centre for Bangladesh Police (Phase I), January 2020 - June 2020
- Position: Research Assistant, Rohingya Journeys of Violence and Resilience in Bangladesh and its Neighbours: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives, April 2020 - July 2020
- Position: Research Assistant, Rehabilitation and Reintegration of Violent Extremist Offenders in Bangladesh, October 2021 - December 2021
- Position: Research Assistant, The Construction of Counter Terrorism & Transnational Crime Protection Centre for Bangladesh Police (Phase II), December 2020 - September 2021
- Position: Co-researcher, Maritime Security Challenges in the Bay of Bengal, Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), August 2022 - April 2023
- Maritime Security Challenges for Bangladesh: The case of Irregular, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing Keynote presentation delivered at the Maritime Security in the Bay of Bengal Symposium 2023 organized by the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), UK Dhaka, Bangladesh, 21 March 2023.
- Maritime Security Challenges in the Bay of Bengal: The case of Irregular, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing Panelist at the Maritime Security in the Bay of Bengal Symposium 2023 organized by the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), UK Colombo, Sri Lanka, 24 March 2023.
Academic Awards and Achievements
- Merit Scholarship for Academic Achievements at Undergraduate and Graduate Levels, University of Dhaka, 2018-2020.
- Merit Scholarship for Academic Excellence for Intermediary [Higher Secondary] and Secondary Education (2012, 2014).
- Merit Scholarship in the Primary (2006) and Junior (2009) Scholarship Exams.