Details Profile of Researchers in BIISS
Titles Not Found!
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Mahfuz Kabir is Research Director at Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies (BIISS), Dhaka. He holds PhD in Economics from School of Economics and Finance, Curtin University, Australia. As a professional economist, he has 22 years of experience of research and training at Bangladesh and abroad. His areas of research interest include trade and investment, transport and connectivity, system of environmental-economic accounting (SEEA), ecosystem accounting, regional integration in BIMSTEC and SAARC, Bangladesh-India relations, macroeconomic issues, disaster and risk management, climate change, renewable energy, budget, social protection, time series and panel data econometrics, stochastic frontier analysis, partial and computable general equilibrium modeling. He has published extensively from home and abroad that include World Bank, UNDP, Elsevier and Routledge.
Google Scholar profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=3k-qqg8smgsC&hl=en&oi=ao
Areas of Expertise
- International trade and investment modelling
- Regional integration
- Macroeconomic modelling, labour market and overseas employment
- Global and micro climate change modelling, circular economy, disaster and risk management, energy and environment
- National accounting, social accounting matrix, system of environmental-economic accounting (SEEA), ecosystem accounting
- Social development, social protection, budget, monetary policy
- Time series and panel data econometrics, and partial and general equilibrium modelling
Policy Research Working Paper/Research Report (International)
- 2019. The Textile-Clothing Value Chain in India and Bangladesh: How Appropriate Policies Can Promote (or Inhibit) Trade and Investment, Policy Research Working Paper WPS8731, World Bank, Washington DC. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/101321549556073308/The-Textile-Clothing-Value-Chain-in-India-and-Bangladesh-How-Appropriate-Policies-Can-Promote-or-Inhibit-Trade-and-Investment
- 2017. Valuation of Subsoil Minerals: Application of SEEA for Bangladesh. SANEEE Working Paper No. 124-17, Kathmandu: SANDEE, 2017.
- 2015. Mapping of Fiscal Flow and Local Government Financing in Bangladesh. Government of Bangladesh-UNDP, Dhaka.
- 2014. India-Bangladesh cooperation in rice seeds: Need for structural changes. Jaipur: Consumer Unity & Trust Society (CUTS).
Internationally Refereed Journal
- 2021. Does aid for trade diversify sub-Saharan Africa’s exports at the intensive and extensive margins? Applied Economics. London: Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group), https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00036846.2021.1940084
- 2019. Valuation of subsoil minerals in Bangladesh: An application of the system of environmental-economic accounting. Resources Policy, Elsevier, Vol. 62, pp. 193-204. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0301420718303787
- 2017. The gravity model and trade flows: Recent developments in econometric modeling and empirical evidence. Economic Analysis and Policy. Elsevier, Vol. 56, pp. 60-71. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0313592617300899
- 2016. Is Trade of Electrical and Electronic Products Sensitive to IPR Protection? Evidence from China’s Exports. Applied Economics. London: Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group), Vol. 48, Issue 21, pp. 1991-2005.
- 2011. Analysing Potential Effects of Preferential Liberalisation in Some Asian Emerging Economies. International Economic Journal, London: Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group), Vol. 25(2): pp. 191-213.
- 2011. Does More Trade Potential Remain in Arab States of the Gulf? Journal of Economic Integration 26(2), pp. 217-243. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23000930
- 2010. Can Gravity Model Explain BIMSTEC’s Trade? Journal of Economic Integration 25(1), pp. 143-165. https://www.jstor.org/stable/23000969?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- 2008. Determinants of Life Expectancy in Developing Countries. Journal of Developing Areas 41(2), pp. 185-204. https://www.jstor.org/stable/40376184?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Book Chapter: International
- 2018. Trade and Investment along BCIM Economic Corridor: Realising Sustaining Economic Returns. In G. Das and C. J. Thomas (eds.), BCIM Sub-regional Cooperation: Interplay of Geo-economics and Geo-politics, London: Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group), 2018. https://www.routledge.com/BCIM-Economic-Cooperation-Interplay-of-Geo-economics-and-Geo-politics/Das-Thomas/p/book/9781138570467
- 2013. Country-wise Sectoral Case Studies: Bangladesh. In: Reforming Non-Tariff Barriers: Case for a Participatory Approach in South Asia, Jaipur: CUTS International, pp. 116-128.
- 2013. Assessing the Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment in Bangladesh: A Survey of Literature. In: Assessing and Addressing the Effects of Trade on Employment: Bangladesh Country Report (Chapter 2), International Labour Organization, Dhaka.
- 2013. Bangladesh: Market Overview. In: Encyclopedia of Emerging Markets, Gale Publishing, New York, June.
- 2013. Bangladesh Industry Profile: Textiles and Clothing. In: Encyclopedia of Emerging Markets, Gale Publishing, New York, June.
- 2013. Bangladesh: Travel and Tourism. In: Encyclopedia of Emerging Markets, Gale Publishing, New York, June.
- 2012. Bangladesh-India Trade and Investment: Bangladesh Perspectives. In S.S. Pattnaik (ed.), Forty Years of Bangladesh-India Relations, Gyan Publications, New Delhi, pp. 123-144.
- 2012. Bangladesh-India Cooperation on Energy Issues: Bangladesh Perspectives. In S.S. Pattnaik (ed.), Forty Years of Bangladesh-India Relations, Gyan Publications, New Delhi, pp. 181-199.
- 2007. Civic Participation in Sub-National Budgeting. In A Shah (ed), Participatory Budgeting, Vol III, World Bank, Washington, DC, pp. 1-29.
- 2007. BIMSTEC-Japan Energy Cooperation: Bangladesh Perspective. In A.R. Khan (ed.), BIMSTEC-Japan Comprehensive Economic Cooperation: Bangladesh Perspective, New Delhi: Bookwell.
- 2006: BIMSTEC-Japan Cooperation in Energy Sector: Vision and Tasks Ahead. In C. Bates (ed), Towards BIMSTEC-Japan Comprehensive Economic Cooperation: The Benefits of Moving Together, London/New York: Anthem Press.
- 2003. Globalization and Economic Security: Human Dimensions, in Comprehensive Security in South Asia: Economic Dimensions, Delhi Policy Group, New Delhi.
Book Chapter: Bangladesh
- 2012. External Sector of Bangladesh: Developments, Policy Reforms and Outlook for the Future. In: Abdul Bayes (ed.), Bangladesh at 40: Changes and Challenges, AH Development Publishing House, Dhaka.
- 2011. Export Promotion and External Issues: Present Status and Future Developments. In: Mustafa K. Mujeri and Shamsul Alam (eds.) Sixth Five Year Plan of Bangladesh 2011-2015: Background Papers, Volume 1 (Macroeconomic Issues), Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) and Planning Commission, Dhaka, pp. 189-257.
- 2011. National Security of Bangladesh: Strategy and Cost Effectiveness. In: Mustafa K. Mujeri and Shamsul Alam (eds.) Sixth Five Year Plan of Bangladesh 2011-2015: Background Papers, Volume 1 (Macroeconomic Issues), Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) and Planning Commission, Dhaka, pp. 259-388.
- 2006. Public Expenditure in Primary Education in Bangladesh. In Hossain Zillur Rahman (ed), Annual Report on Education 2005, Power and Participation Research Centre, Dhaka.
- 2005. Education and Development: The Context of Bangladesh. In A Ahsan and AS Abbasi (eds): Education in a Rapidly Changing World: Focus on Bangladesh, Centre for Social Science and Public Policy Research, IUB, Dhaka, April, pp. 32-49.
- 2004. Social Capital and Development. In Abul Kalam (ed), Bangladesh in the New Millennium: A University of Dhaka Study, UPL, Dhaka, pp. 453-468.
- 2004. Introduction. In: Atiur Rahman, M Ashraf Ali, Farooque Chowdhury and Mahboob Hasan (eds), People’s Report 2002-2003: Bangladesh Environment, Ministry of Environment and Forests, UNDP and Unnayan Shamannay, Dhaka, pp. 3-24.
Journal Article: Bangladesh
- 2020. Bangladesh-India cooperation in trade, investment, and connectivity: a Bangladesh perspective. BIISS Journal, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 239-266.
- 2019. Potential of New Business Corridors between Bangladesh and India’s Northeast: Bangladesh Perspective. BIISS Journal, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 161-178.
- 2017. Does Distance Matter for Bangladesh’s Exports? BIISS Journal, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 77-92.
- 2016. Theory of Change in Social Development: A Micro Level Evidence from Bangladesh. BIISS Journal, Vol. 37, No. 1.
- 2016. Interest Rate Sensitivity of Microcredit Demand in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 191-208.
- 2015. Examining Trade Potential in BIMSTEC: A Trade Frontier Approach, BIISS Journal, Vol. 36, No. 3.
- 2015. Does Export Diversification Promote Export Growth in Bangladesh? BIISS Journal36(2).
- 2015. Does BIMSTEC Matter for Bangladesh’s Trade? Jahangirnagar University Journal of International Relations. Vol VI, No. 6, pp.125-142.
- 2015. Interest Rate Sensitivity of Microcredit Demand in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy 30 (forthcoming).
- 2014. Strengthening Bangladesh-India Rice Seeds Cooperation: Bangladesh Perspective, BIISS Journal, 35(4): 277-298.
- 2014. Regional Trade Liberalisation and Non-tariff Barriers: The Case of Bangladesh’s Trade with South Asia. BIISS Journal, 35(2): 126-146.
- 2013. Realising the Potential of Bangladesh’s Location through Connectivity. BIISS Journal, 34(4).
- 2013. Possible Effects of Bangladesh’s Free Trade with China and India. Jahangirnagar University Journal of Business Research, 15 (double blind peer reviewed): 9-31.
- 2012. Bangladesh’s Exports Potential in the Global Market. Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy 28.
- 2012. Climate Change, Disasters and Adaptation in Bangladesh: Role of Micro Financial Services. BIISS Journal 33(2): 83-103.
- 2012. Examining the Pattern of Bangladesh’s Exports: Application of a Panel Gravity Model. Jahangirnagar University Journal of Business Research, 14: 35-57.
- 2011. Looking Africa: Bangladesh’s Investment Potential in Liberian Agriculture. BIISS Journal 32(4): 285-302.
- 2011. SAARC’s Potential Role in Promoting Economic Development in Afghanistan. BIISS Journal 32(3): 219-235.
- 2010. Does Bangladesh Benefit from a Preferential Liberalisation? Some Ex Ante Evidence from BIMSTEC FTA. Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy, 26(1): 275-294.
- 2010. Why ‘Look Africa’? An Analysis of Economic Potential for Bangladesh. BIISS Journal 31(3): 300-321.
- 2010. On the Integration of South Asia. BIISS Journal 31(1): 82-100.
- 2008. On Openness and Economic Growth: Evidence from Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy 24(1&2): 79-94.
- 2007. Is Foreign Direct Investment Growth-Enhancing in Bangladesh? BIISS Journal 28(2): 101-119.
- 2006. Expansion of Shanghai Cooperation Organization: Iran’s Horizons and Perspectives. BIISS Journal 27(3): 250-270.
- 2005. Conceptualization and Measurement of Food Security: The Context of Bangladesh. BIISS Journal, 26(1):55-90.
- 2005. Attaining Millennium Development Goals in South Asia. BIISS Journal, 26(4): 509-536.
- 2005. Managing Flood in Bangladesh 2004: Facts and Caveats. Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy, 22(1&2): 143-156.
- 2004. Health, Poverty and Public Expenditure in Bangladesh (Bangladeshe Sastho, Daridro O Sarkari Byay). Bangladesh Unnayan Samiksha (BIDS, Dhaka), 21: 159-175.
- 2003. Health Service in Bangladesh: An Assessment of Public Sector’s Effort (Bangladeshe Sasthoseba: Rashtrio Tatparata Bichar). Bangladesh Unnayan Samiksha(BIDS, Dhaka), 20: 127-140.
- 2002. Education for Development (Unnoyoner Jonno Shikkha). Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh (Bangla), 20(2): 113-136.
Proceeding, Monograph and Discussion Paper
- 2015. National Budget of Bangladesh: The CHT Perspectives, Government of Bangladesh, UNDP and Unnayan Shamannay, Dhaka (Monograph).
- 2015. MFI Approaches to Disasters and Climate Change in Bangladesh, IGES Japan-InM Bangladesh, Yokohama and Dhaka (forthcoming).
- 2010. Non-Economic Obstacles towards the Potential of SAARC and SAFTA. Korea-South Asia Cooperation in an Era of Rising South Asia: Conference Proceedings, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, Seoul, South Korea, 25 November 2010.
- 2010. Redesigning Budgetary Policy to Reach Public Resources to the Poor, Monograph, Dhaka: Centre for Policy Dialogue.
- 2010. An Assessment of the Bangladesh Economy and Imperatives for Budget 2010-2011, Monograph, Dhaka: Shamunnay.
- 2006. BIMSTEC-Japan Cooperation in Energy Sector: Vision and Tasks Ahead, research monograph, CSIRD, Kolkata, 2006.
- 2006. BIMSTEC-Japan Energy Cooperation: Bangladesh Perspective, Discussion Paper 24, CSIRD, Kolkata.
- 2004. Bangladesh: The Drawbacks of Poor Governance. In: Social Watch 2004, Social Watch, Montevideo.
Academic Awards and Achievements
- Life Member, Bangladesh Economic Association
- Overseas University Associate, Curtin University, Australia